Description: New Zealand Scottish (RNZAC) collar badge
Maker’s Name: N/A
Condition: Very Good
Comments: New Zealand Scottish (RNZAC) collar badge . Complete with two lugs.
The New Zealand Scottish Regiment was first raised in 1939 as an infantry territorial unit where all members had to be of Scottish descent. In 1949 it was reformed as the 1st Divisional Regiment (RNZAC), a mixed regular and territorial force unit and later 1st Armoured Car Regiment (NZ Scottish), with RHQ and B Squadron in Wellington, A Squadron in Auckland, C Squadron in Dunedin and D Squadron in Christchurch. Initially it received Daimler Mk II scout cars and Wheeled Carriers, while later Daimler Mk II armoured cars were added to its inventory.
The Wheeled Carriers were phased out in 1955 and the Daimler Mk IIs in 1959. In 1963 it was reduced to two reconnaissance squadrons, 1 Reconnaissance Squadron (NZ Scottish) in Burnham and 2 Reconnaissance Squadron (NZ Scottish) in Dunedin, the former was equipped with Ferret Mk II scout cars and the latter Landrovers. In 1979 the two squadrons were renamed 1 and 2 Scots, the former becoming an APC squadron equipped with M113A1 personnel carriers and the latter a composite squadron until it too became an APC squadron in 1975. In 1982 2 Scots became an anti-armour squadron and then in 1990 was retitled New Zealand Scottish. At the same time 1 Scots was disbanded and the regular force components amalgamated into Waikato/Wellington East Coast Squadron.