Description: 10th Light Horse – White Metal hat badge (1956-60)
Maker’s Name: Swann and Hudson
Condition: Very Good
Comments: 10th Light Horse – White Metal hat badge (1956-60). Complete with 2 lugs.
The regiment is part of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps (RAAC) and was previously known as 10 WAMI from 1948 to 1956. Now a scarce and highly desirable badge.
The 10th Light Horse Regiment is a light cavalry regiment of the Australian Army. Tracing its lineage back to 1900, it predecessor units served during the Second Boer War and the First World War. Today consisting of only a single squadron, the regiment is part of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps. A Reserve unit, it is attached to the 13th Brigade and is based in Western Australia, where it operates Land Rover 4×4 and 6×6 vehicles in the light cavalry and reconnaissance roles.
During the Second World War, the regiment underwent several name changes in order to show its varying roles. In 1943, it was gazetted as an Australian Imperial Force unit, but did not see service overseas. Instead, its main task was the defence of south-west Australia. During this period, the regiment was also partially mechanised, although it did retain horses which were used to patrol the coastline. It was the last regiment in Australia to employ horses. It was disbanded in 1944. It was reformed as a single squadron in 1949, when it became fully mechanised and was renamed the 10th Western Australian Mounted Infantry, operating Staghound and Canadian Scout armoured cars. Expanded to a full regiment in 1952, it was again renamed as the 10th Light Horse in 1956 when it was equipped with Staghounds, Saracens and Ferrets, before being reduced to a single independent squadron again in 1976.
Lugs squeezed shut.