Description: 7th/21st Australian Horse – White Metal Opposing Collar Badge pair 1953 – 57
Condition: Very Good
Comments: 7th/21st Australian Horse – White Metal Opposing Collar Badge pair 1953 – 57.
One of the scarcest badges to an RAAC Regiment.
The 7/21st Australian Horse was a RAAC reconnaissance regiment that was raised in 1948 and was disbanded in September 1957. It was know initially as the 7th/21st Reconnaissance Regiment (Australian Horse).
In 1948, the Regiment was reformed as the 7th/21st Australian Horse, a Citizens Military Force (CMF) armoured unit for the reconnaissance role, equipped with Staghound Armoured Cars and Canadian Scout Cars. Regimental HQ was in Cootamundra, with the squadrons based as follows:
* HQ Squadron – Cootamundra, Temora
* A Squadron – Wagga Wagga; detachment formed by 1953 at Tumut
* B Squadron – Leeton, Griffith; moved by 1953 to Junee
* C Squadron – Young, Tumut; detachment formed by 1953 at Cowra and Tumut detachment transferred to A Squadron
The introduction of National Service in Australia in 1951 led to the strength of the Regiment being considerably increased due to large intakes of National Service soldiers: the strength rose from approximately 140 active members (volunteers) in 1950 to approximately 1300, in 1956.
In 1953 the unit was re-roled as an anti-tank Regiment and equipped with 6 pdr anti-tank guns. The Regiment was disbanded on 14th September 1957 with the units personnel being absorbed into the 4th Battalion (later 4/3 RNSWR). The Guidon of the 7th Light Horse was laid up in St Saviour’s Church, Goulburn.