Description

Description: Battledress Flash – QUEENSLAND MOUNTED INFANTRY

Condition: Near Mint

Comments: Worn by the 2nd/14th Light Horse (Queensland Mounted Infantry) from 1960 on battledress uniform.

The 2nd/14th Light Horse Regiment (Queensland Mounted Infantry) is a regiment of the Australian Army, part of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps. It was formed in 1930 through the amalgamation of two other regiments:

    * 2nd Moreton Light Horse (QMI)
* 14th West Moreton Light Horse (QMI)

In 1939, on the outbreak of the Second World War, the regiment was made part of the 1st Cavalry Brigade, along with the other units of mounted infantry in Queensland. In 1940, the regiment was disamalgamated into its antecedent units; the 2nd Moreton Light Horse eventually became the 2nd Australian Cavalry Regiment (AIF) before disbanding in 1943, while the 14th Light Horse was reformed as a machine gun regiment, becoming the 14th Motor Regiment before disbanding in 1942.

In 1949, A Squadron, 2nd/14th Queensland Mounted Infantry was reformed as an armoured car squadron, before being increased to a full regiment in 1950. In 1956, it converted to an anti-tank unit, equipped initially with 6-pounder and 17-pounder guns, before receiving 120mm anti-tank guns and recoilless rifles.

In 1960, A Squadron became part of the regular army, eventually being transferred to become B Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment in 1966. At the same time, 2nd/14th was redesignated as a cavalry regiment, re-equipping with armoured vehicles. The regiment was reduced to a squadron in 1976, before expanding again to a full regiment in 1980, being renamed the 2nd/14th Light Horse Regiment (Queensland Mounted Infantry) in 1981, equipped with the M113 vehicle in the armoured support role. In 1986, the regiment became an integrated unit consisting of regular army and army reserve soldiers. It converted to the reconnaissance role in 1997, and was re-equipped with the ASLAV vehicle between 2001-2004. From 2005, the regiment will be a purely regular army unit.