Description: Battledress Flash – ROYAL NSW LANCERS
Condition: Near Mint
Comments: Worn by the 1st Light Horse (Royal New South Wales Lancers) on battledress uniform up to 1960.
The 1st Royal New South Wales Lancers was a former Australian Army light cavalry (reconnaissance) regiment. Its complicated lineage includes the New South Wales Lancers which were first formed as a colonial unit in 1885, and subsequently saw action in the Second Boer War, and later during First World War at Gallipoli and Palestine as the 1st Light Horse Regiment. The unit subsequently served during the Second World War as the 1st Armoured Regiment equipped with Matilda tanks, fighting the Japanese in New Guinea and Borneo.
The Lancers were reformed after the war in 1948 as a reserve formation in the Citizens Military Forces known as the 1st Armoured Regiment (Royal New South Wales Lancers). In 1949 the regiment was renamed the 1st Royal New South Wales Lancers however, in order to reallocate the former name to the tank regiment that was to be established in the new Australian Regular Army. In 1956 the 1st Royal New South Wales Lancers was merged with the 15th Northern River Lancers to create the 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers, a unit which continues to serve today in the Australian Army Reserve.