Description: CANADA -The Fort Garry Horse (FGH) – Brass shoulder title pair – World War 2
Maker’s Name: N/A
Condition: Very Good
Comments: CANADA -The Fort Garry Horse (FGH) – Brass shoulder title pair – World War 2. Complete with two lugs.
The Fort Garry Horse is a Canadian Army Reserve Armoured Regiment based in Winnipeg, Manitoba. It is currently part of Land Force Western Area’s 38 Canadian Brigade Group.The regiment was formed in 1912, as the 34th Regiment of Cavalry. In 1913 it was renamed 34th Fort Garry Horse. In 1914, a new armory was specially built on Maryland Street in Winnipeg. In the First World War, volunteers from the regiment helped form the 6th Battalion, CEF, later Canadian Cavalry Depot, then later The Fort Garry Horse for active service in France.
Harcus Strachan of the regiment was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions at the battle of Cambrai on November 20, 1917 in France.
In 1920 the regiment was named The Fort Garry Horse in order to perpetuate The Fort Garry Horse of the CEF. In 1936 the regiment absorbed The Manitoba Horse.
During the Second World War the regiment was mobilized as the 10th Canadian Armoured Regiment (The Fort Garry Horse). It was in the vanguard on Juno Beach on D-Day, serving in the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade.
After the war, in 1946, the regiment was reconstituted in the militia.
In 1949 the regiment was renamed The Fort Garry Horse (10th Armoured Regiment). In 1958 a Regular Force component, 1st Fort Garry Horse was formed the Militia was titled 2nd Fort Garry Horse. The titles were changed shortly afterward to The Fort Garry Horse and The Fort Garry Horse (M). In 1970 the Regular Force component was disbanded and the Militia regiment retained the title The Fort Garry Horse.
In 2003, the regiment began hosting personnel to help create a new unit of the Canadian Military Engineers. It is planned that these personnel will eventually form 31 Field Engineer Squadron. The engineers in this unit have the distinction of being the only reservists in Canada to wear the black beret of the Armoured Corps with the cap badge of the Canadian Military Engineers. This has led to some confusion for engineers outside of the unit from time to time.