Description: The Sherbrooke Hussars (RCAC) Shoulder Flash
Condition: Very Good
Comments: The Sherbrooke Hussars (RCAC) Shoulder Flash.
The Sherbrooke Hussars is a Primary Reserve armoured regiment of the Canadian Forces.
The Sherbrooke Regiment was initially formed in 1866 as the Sherbrooke Battalion of Infantry, becoming the 53rd (Sherbrooke) Battalion in 1867. The regiment provided volunteers for the 12th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1914. The following year, it provided the bulk of the 117th (Eastern Townships) Battalion, CEF, formed initially as a mounted unit, but quickly converted to infantry. This battalion became the first Empire unit to provide the King’s Guard at Buckingham Palace in London. The 117th was then broken up to provide reinforcements for several other Canadian units in France.
In 1920, the Sherbrooke Regiment was reformed with two battalions – the 1st Battalion perpetuated the traditions of the 117th CEF. In 1940, parts of the regiment amalgamated with Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke to form the Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment (27th Canadian Armoured Regiment) which was roled as an armoured regiment, while the Sherbrooke Regiment continued as infantry.
After the end of the Second World War, The Sherbrooke Regiment re-roled as armour, becoming the 12th Armoured Regiment (Sherbrooke Regiment), perpetuating the traditions of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers. In 1958, the number was dropped, and the regiment became The Sherbrooke Regiment (RCAC), before, in 1965, it amalgamated with the 7th/XI Hussars to become the Sherbrooke Hussars. It is part of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps (RCAC).